Olive Oil in ice cream you ask?! This recipe is perfect for experimenting with fused and infused olive oils, and variations totally depending on your own taste preferences.
1. Prepare an ice bath.
2. In a heavy saucepan set over medium heat, warm
the half and half and sea salt to 180 degrees F.
3. While the half and half is heating, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until pale yellow and fluffy.
4. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Whisking constantly, add 1/2 cup of the hot half and half to the egg yolks, then place egg yolk mixture in the saucepan, still whisking constantly.
5. Place the saucepan back on medium heat and whisk constantly until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon, about 3 minutes.
6. Strain the mixture into a bowl set in the ice bath. Stir every now and then until cooled to room temperature.
7. Whisk in the olive oil and vanilla. Pour the custard into an 8x4-inch loaf pan and refrigerate, uncovered, until chilled, but preferably overnight, before transferring to room temperature.